Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY: Cork Coasters using Mod Podge


Mod Podge is all over the place these days in the DIY world!  I've used it before to seal a puzzle, but was interested in trying it for something else...maybe something slightly more useful.  With that I give you...Cork Coasters using Mod Podge!  (a tutorial so easy you can watch some crummy reality TV while doing it!)

What you'll need:

  • Cork Coasters.  You can buy these in a pack at Hobby Lobby or similar craft store.  You could also buy a chunk of cork board and cut out shapes yourself if you're feeling ambitious or especially creative!  Other options: square tiles, glass tiles, etc.  You could probably use many different things...I was just looking for something that had non-skid qualities built into it.  For things like tile, you could add felt or little rubber feet to the back.
  • Mod Podge: I picked up the gloss.
  • Xacto knife: or similar.
  • Craft Brushes
  • Cutting mat
  • Water resistant, Clear Acrylic Spray.  You can get this at the craft store also.
  • Finally...Whatever image you want on those coasters!  The person I was making these for has a thing for penguins...don't judge, it's cute.  I used an old calendar.  You could use photographs, magazines, comic books, books, craft paper, etc.  I don't know how well your typical computer printed image works, but if someone tries it, let me know!!




What you'll do:

  1. Choose your images.  Get creative and select interesting shots!  *Tip: cut the excess from around the image you want to minimize the extra paper you deal with.  
  2. Add a thin layer of your Mod Podge to the cork coaster and adhere it to the back of the image.  I held mine up to the light so I could get it exactly where I wanted it.  *A side note: you can also cut your image out before attaching.  However, I decided it would be easier to cut them out after so I could just trace the outside of the coaster.
  3. Stack them up.  Put a heavy book on top and let them dry for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Trim (if you didn't cut previously).
  5. Apply at least two more layers of Mod Podge.  Let them dry about 15 minutes between coats and make sure you hit the edges.  It dries clear, but will leave some brush marks depending on your application.  Mine curled up a little (cork if flexible!) but they flattened out on their own.  No worries.
  6. Let your final coat of Mod Podge dry for at least and hour...more if you can.  Add your clear acrylic spray.  I did 4 thin coats, making sure to hit the sides, because I wanted to be sure these bad boys were water resistant.  Let dry about 20 minutes or more between coats.  
  7. When you're 100 %, let them dry really well before using them.  I let mine sit for 12+ hours.  *A side note: as with any other wet medium, it takes longer to dry in cool or hot areas.  Adjust accordingly.


Step 1

Step 4

Step 5

The final product!  Shiny, waterproof, and cute!

 All in all, this project cost me about $12.  The Mod Podge and acrylic were the two more expensive items.  However, now that I have them, I could easily make more coasters for super cheap :)  With some parental guidance, you could do this with kids.  How cute would that be for a gift to grandparents!?!?

I also made puzzle magnets.

Get creative and see what is around your house that you could be spontaneous with!  You can use these same steps to make magnets, add images to an old tray to give it new life, a pot for interior house plants, etc.  The options extend as far as your creative mind will go!!  Have fun :)

Shared on: House of Hepworths

2 comments: