Friday, January 4, 2013

Bibbidi Bobbidi Booyah!!

I was trying to think of a creative title that had something to do with beads or baubles and all that kept popping into my head was this line from Big Bang Theory..."Bibbidi Bobbidi Booyah!".  That show gets me every time...and contains a surprising number of similarities to my life.  Go figure.  Anyway, back to the program...

Jewelry making is something I've been doing off and on since I was just a wee lass living in the thriving metropolis of Arrowsmith, IL (population 300 if you count dogs and cats).  Back then it was those weird fabric bands you could braid and manipulate.  They came in a big bag with enough colors to satisfy any 80s child.  I can't find an image, but I did just see a bag of them at Hobby Lobby last week...I was tempted.

After that phase, I moved onto the hemp bracelets.  I know all of you 90s kids remember this trend!  I braided, twisted, looped beads, attached baubles, integrated little bells, and even took custom orders.  Not too shabby for a junior high kid.

About two and a half years ago, I was looking for a calming activity...something to use up just enough of my mind that it distracts me, but not enough that it stresses me.  I had tried knitting in the past; it's not for me.  I decided to dip my toe back into the waters of jewelry making.  I started off slow, not wanting to throw a bunch of $$ into a hobby I didn't care for.  My first creations were some basic bracelets.  I coordinated my beads with care and thought about items in my closet I would actually wear them with because, honestly, what's the point of making it if you never wear it?  These were my first few bracelets (earrings followed months later).  Many more followed...some of them I still have while others have been gifted.   


          
Purple, smokey grey, and dark steel
Dark turquoise, wood and agate
This whole process spanned over months and was only "when I felt like it".  In the past year I've slowly started thinking of what else I could make or how to expand this hobby.  My supply was still limited; I bought only what I needed for a specific project.  In case you couldn't tell, I'm kinda a big fan of turquoise.  There wasn't anything out there I really liked...or if I did like it, I couldn't afford it.  As a result, I just made my own.  Below is a more recent set along with some random earrings. 

                     
Turquoise & silver
Isn't that bead awesome?!?!
A random selection

Recently, I decided (or more accepted) that I really enjoy this!  I enjoy finding interesting pieces, coordinating parts, brainstorming what I can make, figuring out how to do it, and (obviously) wearing it!  Lucky for me, my guy relayed this information to his mom (a fellow creative soul)...who went hog-wild for Christmas picking out different pieces and parts!!!  Holy Moly!!  It's on...like donkey kong!!  What will I create next...

I've learned that I need to take better pictures of my pieces if I want to actually show them off!!  Geesh lighting!!  (no judgements please...it was late).  I have some ideas on creative ways to display them for photos...but at 11:30pm, my kitchen counter sufficed.

What kind of calming activity do you do?  (If you say meditate, I'll slap you through this computer screen).  Do you like turquoise?  If no, then why the heck not?!?!


1 comment: