Friday, March 29, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

The quest to make healthy eats is a tough one...am I right??  I try to cook clean as much as possible AND make extra (because leftovers rock).  Sometimes it's dang hard though!!  Today's post is an example of my version: cooking mostly clean!  One of the things I love most about this recipe is that you can change stuff out to suit your taste...you'll see below.  I can't take credit for this recipe, as the original came from my someday sister-in-law :)  However, just like all my recipes, I modify/alter/adapt until I find the mix that is perfect for me.


What you need:

  • 4 Bell Peppers (any color)
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey (or ground beef)
  • 1 Packet Good Seasons Italian Seasoning
  • 1 Can Hunt's Diced Tomato with Roasted Garlic (or whatever kind you choose)
  • 1 Small Onion (or more if you LOVE onion) diced finely
  • Minced Garlic: I used about a tablespoon.  Adjust based on your tastes.
  • Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown (again, use whatever you want...I just like that I can pop it in the microwave and it's done)
  • Mozzarella Cheese

What you do:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut the tops off your 4 peppers and discard the insides (all the white stuff).  Fit the 4 peppers in a baking dish.  I like to use one with higher sides because the peppers get heavy and sometimes want to tip.
  3. In a skillet, heat some EVOO and start to saute your onions and garlic.  Do this only until they're softened.
  4. Add your ground turkey and brown.  After it's browned, I usually try to drain off whatever grease I can.  Call me crazy or picky...but it's what I do.  
  5. Turn down your heat and add the Good Seasons.  Mix well and let this simmer for just a few minutes.
  6. Open up your diced tomatoes.  Again, I like to drain of the extra liquid...I just don't like liquidy food.  Add your diced tomatoes to your skillet and mix well.  Simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
  7. Get a big bowl and mix your skillet concoction and cooked brown rice well.  With a spoon, add your mixture to your hollowed out peppers.
  8. After filled, put a sheet of foil loosely over the top and cook for 30 minutes in your oven.  
  9. Take out, add mozzarella cheese to your heart's desire and stick back in the oven for a few minutes until it's all melty and delicious.
  10. Eat and enjoy (after it cools)
You can also do this recipe on the grill.  Seriously.  I tried it this summer.  I used a cookie sheet as a surface and kind of propped the peppers against each other for support.  I think it only took about 15 minutes on the grill...so BONUS!!!

Don't veggies look pretty???

Turkey is just as good as beef!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Nanner,
    Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it at the table with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete